Monday, March 4, 2013

Hoisin Sauce

I have known for some time that I need to make my own since my daughter is allergic to soy and traditional Hoisin sauce always causes an allergic reaction.  We deal with it because we like our Chinese food.   :)  This morning, however,  while making pork wontons, I found that I did not have the Hoisin sauce in my pantry that I thought I did.  This lead me to improvise and create my own recipe for Hoisin sauce.  Traditionally Hoisin sauce is made from a soybean paste, soy sauce and chilies. Here is my version:

4 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos (non-GMO soy sauce) 
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey or molasses
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic clove crushed
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
20 drops Tabasco sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients together until a paste is formed.  Store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment