Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs

From Better Homes and Gardens, September 2010
35 minute cook time

1 lemon
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
8 chicken thighs, bone in
2 tsp vegetable oil
sliced green onions and lemon wedges (optional)

(1) Finely shred peel from lemon and juice lemon.  In bowl combine the lemon peel, ginger, and salt.  In another bowl combine lemon juice, honey soy sauce, and water.

(2) Rub lemon peel mixture under the skin of the chicken thighs.  In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.  Place chicken, skin down, in the hot oil.  Cook 7 minutes or until well-browned; turn chicken and add lemon juice mixture.  Reduce heat; cover and cook 14 to 18 minutes longer or until no pink remains (180 degrees).

(3) Transfer chicken to plates.  Skim fat from pan juices, if desired.  Drizzle chicken with some of the pan juices.  Top with green onion and serve with lemon wedges.

Serves 4.

Notes: 

(1) I freeze my ginger as I cannot use it fast enough.  When I need fresh ginger, I just take the ginger out of the freezer and grate it with the peel.  A nice rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon = 1 inch of the ginger root.

(2) I used some Bragg's Liquid Aminos.  The main ingredient is non-GMO soy sauce which did not effect my daughter negatively.  Be very careful if you are allergic to soy.  I am not endorsing that you use this.  I am just saying that it worked for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment