- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery with leaves on, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, freshly ground
- 2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro(optional)
- 10 ounces of southern greens, thoroughly rinsed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken or turkey pieces, precooked
DirectionsHeat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add drained beans, broth and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
In saute pan heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the roasted peppers, minced garlic and cilantro. Cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in the southern greens , cover and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape the contents of the skillet into the pot and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.desired.
(1) This can be made in the crock pot IF you leave the addition of the roasted peppers and the southern greens until right before you serve the soup.
(2) Southern greens: I purchase mine from Trader Joe's. The package includes, spinach, collard greens, kale and turnip greens. However, you can pick up what you would like at any grocery store. I started using these because Trader Joe's was out of kale one day.
(3) This is a great soup for leftovers but only if you add the greens prior to serving them. When I am going to do this I do not saute the southern greens. I just throw them into the soup and cook for a few minutes.